Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 14 - departure from Ondati

Incredibly, this was my last day in the village. My sense of time whilst in the village has not been entirely sane, and it seems like a very long time that I've been in village now. But it still seems surprising that end is now here. Everyone was very sad to see me go, and asked me to stay in touch and to come back next year.

Cyprine (the cook who gave me my Luo name - Ochieng) hugged me warmly. Bwana Chairman insisted on getting my email address. The Director promised that he would continue to study the budget closely. Joshua wanted me to text when I got to Kisumu and asked to pass his regards to my parents when I saw them.

David and Justus, two employees of the Kisumu-based NGO Africa Now, gave me a lift back to Kisumu. We more or less passed by Mbita, which is a Millenium Village, but didn't get to stop there. Shame - we ended up talking about it a lot, and since I now understand community development much better, I found this interesting. Maybe one day I'll come back - who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment